Skip to main content

The Breadwinner

Being the breadwinner of the family is not a choice. It just happens. Taking over the responsibility since I graduated from college has never been easy for me. My parents and siblings would always come to me to clear all the utility bills and all other expenses of the family.

Deep down inside of me, I have this feeling of satisfaction that slowly I'm bringing out my family out of financial crisis that we were facing since we were young, that finally we were able to experience the little luxuries of life, that we are no longer to worry of not having a food on the table.

However, over the years it didn't occured to me the weight of being the sole provider of the family until my other siblings had their own family one by one unexpectedly and as I watched my parents grow old and still taking care of their grandchildrens.

I am the middle child of the family. I'm not supposed to shoulder all the weight of responsibilities and burdens alone. If only they have been wiser living their life, it would be much easier. Lately, I feel so tired for being the breadwinner for the last 11 years of my life, and despite of all these resentful feelings, I don't wanna stop... knowing my parents have no one else to turn to except me.

As my parents grow old, they started to be more stubborn each and every day. Worst thing is, they became more and more unsatisfied with what I'm able to give. Leaving me feeling like unappreciated and not good enough despite of trying my absolute best, it sucks right?!

Is this normal? or am I being too emotional again?..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

it's a girly thing!.. :D

When I was still working in Let's Face It, I remember I usually have my weekly manicure and pedicure for free. It's because, the training center for the salon's attendants is just located in the 2nd floor of the office. Manicure and pedicure are just one of the few benefits of pampering yourself for free as an employee there. Nowadays, I usually had my pedicure done once or twice a month in a parlor nearby our home, this time I have to pay for it. But, I don't usually have my hands to be manicured, I just don't think it's practical because the nail polish on my hands gets damaged easily. So, what I did is just have my nails in my hands manicured all by myself, that way I won't have to pay over and over again if ever I needed a nail polish retouch.Yes, I can do it. :) Today, my nails are colored by pink lilac nail polish. So love it !.. :D I am not comfortable and confident enough about having a nail polish in my hands before especially those ...

we're not the lucky ones .. :)

Eat Bulaga ! It is the longest running noon time show here in the Philippines. One of the highlights of the show is the “Juan for All, All for Juan” game. It signifies unity among the Filipinos. The hosts will go to a certain barangay everyday, they will pick a winner from the entry box which contains registration forms from the residents. The lucky winner will be given some foods, products and appliances courtesy of the sponsors, and of course a big amount of money. After that, they had also like “bring me” sort of game, they will lay out numbers from 1-150, and all who wished to join the game should bring 10 plastic bottles and a specific thing that the host will ask them. The hosts will pick up a random number, the chosen number will then receive prizes. After each month, the hosts will choose 3 barangays who will win a prize as the most organized, cleanest, and well-disciplined community. The plastic bottles collected from the residents of the barangay were use to be recycle in ...

if not me, then who would be?..

An excerpt from the book Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen: Halley and Scarlett have been best friends ever since they met. Halley has always been the quiet one; Scarlett braver and more outgoing. Halley has always turned to Scarlett when things get rough, and Scarlett has always known just what to do. It’s the perfect set up. But everything changes at the beginning of their junior year. Scarlett’s boyfriend is killed in a motorcycle accident; then she finds out that she is carrying his baby. For the first time ever, Scarlett really needs Halley. Now Halley has to how to be strong for Scarlett. It won’t be easy, but Halley knows that she can’t let Scarlett down. Because a true friend is a promise you keep forever. ~~ This is definitely not a book review. I think I’m not good at it. I just realized while reading and after finishing it, that I can relate to the character of Halley. I remember when I was a kid, I don’t have a best friend to be called. There’s no kid in my h...