Skip to main content

What Grief Looks Like for Me

I cried so much when he got sick and during the worst stages of his dementia—more than I did on the day he passed away.

Most days, I'm okay. Sometimes, I even feel guilty for being okay after he died. Shouldn't I be crying? That's how people grieve, right?

I don't know. God, forgive me if this is wrong, but somehow, I felt a little relieved afterward.

A few months before he passed away, I even thought I had an undiagnosed mental disorder because I kept choosing to set aside my own health instead of getting myself properly checked. During one of his emergency room visits, a psychiatrist assessed me and said I might have Caregiver Depression Syndrome.

All those sleepless nights, panic attacks, constantly being on alert, overthinking, days of nonstop crying, and the overwhelming mix of sadness, stress, exhaustion, and every emotion in between. There were times when it didn't even feel like I was dealing with the disease anymore, especially during his severe episodes of agitation. It felt like we were just trying to survive.

Now, all of that is gone.

I remember one of his worst episodes. I was crying so hard that I found myself wishing he would just die so all the suffering would finally end. Looking back, I realized I didn't actually want him to die. I just wanted all the suffering—the exhaustion, the pain, and the helplessness—to end for both of us.

There are still days when I feel empty and can't even describe what I'm feeling. Most of the time, I tell myself that maybe that's okay.

I think I started grieving long before he passed away. Somehow, I knew this day would come as I watched his health slowly decline. Even then, I still held on to hope and continued taking him to every check-up, hoping things would somehow get better.

Every night, I still find myself looking for him whenever I go downstairs. I've stopped checking the CCTV because that was something I used to do every night while working, just to make sure he was okay and sleeping peacefully.

Before I fall asleep, I always hope to see him in my dreams. I hope to see him happy, at peace, and smiling the way he did in his old photos when he was young. I hope to hear him tell me that he's okay—that he's no longer suffering, and that he's not angry with me or with anyone anymore.

I still find it hard to understand grief. Maybe there isn't really a right or wrong way to go through it. Maybe this is simply what mine looks like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

it's a girly thing!.. :D

When I was still working in Let's Face It, I remember I usually have my weekly manicure and pedicure for free. It's because, the training center for the salon's attendants is just located in the 2nd floor of the office. Manicure and pedicure are just one of the few benefits of pampering yourself for free as an employee there. Nowadays, I usually had my pedicure done once or twice a month in a parlor nearby our home, this time I have to pay for it. But, I don't usually have my hands to be manicured, I just don't think it's practical because the nail polish on my hands gets damaged easily. So, what I did is just have my nails in my hands manicured all by myself, that way I won't have to pay over and over again if ever I needed a nail polish retouch.Yes, I can do it. :) Today, my nails are colored by pink lilac nail polish. So love it !.. :D I am not comfortable and confident enough about having a nail polish in my hands before especially those ...

if not me, then who would be?..

An excerpt from the book Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen: Halley and Scarlett have been best friends ever since they met. Halley has always been the quiet one; Scarlett braver and more outgoing. Halley has always turned to Scarlett when things get rough, and Scarlett has always known just what to do. It’s the perfect set up. But everything changes at the beginning of their junior year. Scarlett’s boyfriend is killed in a motorcycle accident; then she finds out that she is carrying his baby. For the first time ever, Scarlett really needs Halley. Now Halley has to how to be strong for Scarlett. It won’t be easy, but Halley knows that she can’t let Scarlett down. Because a true friend is a promise you keep forever. ~~ This is definitely not a book review. I think I’m not good at it. I just realized while reading and after finishing it, that I can relate to the character of Halley. I remember when I was a kid, I don’t have a best friend to be called. There’s no kid in my h...

we're not the lucky ones .. :)

Eat Bulaga ! It is the longest running noon time show here in the Philippines. One of the highlights of the show is the “Juan for All, All for Juan” game. It signifies unity among the Filipinos. The hosts will go to a certain barangay everyday, they will pick a winner from the entry box which contains registration forms from the residents. The lucky winner will be given some foods, products and appliances courtesy of the sponsors, and of course a big amount of money. After that, they had also like “bring me” sort of game, they will lay out numbers from 1-150, and all who wished to join the game should bring 10 plastic bottles and a specific thing that the host will ask them. The hosts will pick up a random number, the chosen number will then receive prizes. After each month, the hosts will choose 3 barangays who will win a prize as the most organized, cleanest, and well-disciplined community. The plastic bottles collected from the residents of the barangay were use to be recycle in ...